Books: 1M Random Digits, Busting Numbers Stations Agents, VENONA, Censorship [re: Quside random]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 23:10:41 PDT 2020

> On 9/17/20, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Jim Bell's comment:I remember in 1976, in my first semester at MIT,
>> visiting the Engineering Library inside the Big Dome, searching the book
>> stacks, and finding a book printed with about one million random numbers.
>
> The NSA has a digital copy of that book in its dictionary ;)

Now cpunks can have their very own digital printout,
surely guaranteed to be unadulterated from the original 1955,
surely random, print copy in order to...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Million_Random_Digits_with_100,000_Normal_Deviates
https://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1418.html
https://www.rand.org/pubs/papers/2008/P113.pdf

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rand-million-random-digits-numbers-book-error-11600893049

‘A Million Random Digits’ Was a Number-Cruncher’s Bible.
Now One Has Exposed Flaws in the Disorder.

A 1955 Rand Corp. book had a reputation as the go-to source for
figures used by pollsters, analysts, researchers; engineer Gary Briggs
has ruined it.
For 65 years, Rand Corp.’s reference book “A Million Random Digits
with 100,000 Normal Deviates” has enjoyed a reputation as the go-to
source for random numbers.
Until, on a random whim, Gary Briggs came along and ruined it all.
Mr. Briggs, a Rand software engineer, spent his spring rifling through the
million digits and discovered that while... [a paywall had been erected
in front of his eyes, his story will be freed in time ;]

... cite page numbers from and feed into their own one-time
comms pads over GNURadio SDR RF. Just don't get caught...

https://www.numbers-stations.com/how-to-catch-a-spy-who-uses-numbers-stations-the-kgb-experience/

Today we release second part of the research from the KGB archive
documents in Latvian National Archive. This article features direct
translation from KGB top secret training manual where one part of it
was dedicated on instructions on how to apprehend and capture foreign
intelligence operative who is using numbers station or one sided
broadcast. The instruction is based on actual historic case of Anatoly
Filatov a CIA spy, who was caught by KGB counter intelligence in 1977
and was receiving instructions from the CIA radio center in Frankfurt,
West Germany. This manual shows practical methods of counter
inteligence and how its possible to disrupt a intelligence operation
that is using numbers stations broadcasts for communication.

https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/declassified-documents/venona/

https://www.mattblaze.org/blog/neinnines/

Did a broken random number generator in Cuba help expose a Russian
espionage network?
I picked up the new book Compromised last week and was intrigued to
discover that it may have shed some light on a small (and rather
esoteric) cryptologic and espionage mystery that I've been puzzling
over for about 15 years. Compromised is primarily a memoir of former
FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok's investigation into
Russian operations in the lead up to the 2016 presidential election,
but this post is not a review of the book or concerned with that
aspect of it. ... Ironically, this was not the first time that
Russian/Soviet intelligence has been burned by sloppy OTP practices.
The first was, more famously, the disastrous re-use of OTPs discovered
and exploited in the Venona intercepts. ...

ps: Matt Blaze is on the Board of Directors of the Tor Project Inc,
which hypocritically for a free-speech anti-censorship project,
actively censors its lists, blog, etc against this truth, and
other risk-to-users-threat-model, funding-embarassing things.

ps: Dont let Perry Metzger's censored cryptography at metzdowd.com
list see this post, it'll spark another 100 post RNG thread flooding out
fair refutation of their own anti-cryptocurrency bankers and statists.

Have a fun and random day :)