Tor, the pentagon's cyberweapon

Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 punks at tfwno.gf
Tue Oct 13 13:39:03 PDT 2020

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 16:11:18 -0400
Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> punk, it's not helpful to tell people not to use tor.

	of course it is. Tor is garbage and it has to go.

> tor _increases their anonymity_.

	you don't know that. At best tor gives some deniability.

> it _is_ helpful to make sure they know they are _still not fully anonymous_ using it.

	that's right, people should know that they can't 'trust' tor. And so why use something you can't 'trust'?

>  We want people using tor, and  understanding that they are still not anonymous.

	no 'we' don't want people using tor. Unless by 'we' you mean US govcorp.

> The increased anonymity reduces the random harm, and increases the flow of free information.

	you're ignoring the harm that tor causes.

> > 	anyway, if you want to make something that actually works, don't bother
> > with tor's source but start with the 'conceptual' design. Notice that one of
> > tor's core 'features' is a handful of 'directory authorities' (owned by the
> > pentagon of course) - but even if the handful of servers that control the
> > network would not be owned by the enemy, they would still be problematic.
>
> Do you assume that 'feature' can't be pulled out?  last i looked it
> was more educational institutions than the pentagon, dunno.

	The 'directory authorities' work for the US military. You can call them 'educational institutions' or sausages or anything else. Their name doesn't change their nature.