GnuPG 'Lottery' - 'fun' with 256 bit keys

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:18:16 PST 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:23 AM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> (honestly i am very confused by an assumption of discerning a private
> key by hope for collision, as a normal thing without explanation or
> reminder of some new change in technology or research making this
> reasonable.  i can't tell what is real here.)

Why confused? What I described in my OP on the GnuPG ML should
be possible today or in the future, even if chances are super minimal. I
mean what does Bitcoin Collider Software, like LBC, Brainflayer etc.
does? The 256bit HEX values people are looking for, as understood,
need also be in a valid range, according to Bitcoin specs.

An example collision could look like this if you examine this GnuPG
signature (which has a secret Bitcoin key with a positive balance:
(seen in a Usenet posting)

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2020-January/063203.html

Regarding research (and GnuPG) people could write for example
a program which checks a complete publicity available key server
dump for signature packets #2 i.e the once that are only 256bit long
and then convert them, keep them in a text file and use a balance checker
program ...

Regards
Stefan