the British Queen, the Crown, and Australia - Fwd: ASIO & Palace Letters

Zenaan zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jun 8 20:02:48 PDT 2020

Unfortunately we do not (and have never had) an actual representative democracy - notwithstanding Switzerland.

Your definition of democracy is quite reasonable, though it fails to recognise that all people are definitely not equal - in fact we have massive differences in each area of capacity, such as cognitive awareness, mental ability, empathy, and of course physical mobility.

Now of course we can vary this definition to rather than speak to equality, to speak to rights - this is a safe area since we are, in the democratic sense at least, each with a "right to have a say in the laws we are called upon to obey."

This is un unchallengeable foundation principle, in any system which has laws.

The anarchist of course would say something like 'feel free to aspire to whatever you might think are political structures and positions in those structures you want to try to fill, just stay the flip away from me and leave me out of your democratic "utopia", I have no need of any 'leader', elected or otherwise, thank you very much!'

Next the issue of Australia's head of state being "a foreigner":

 - Australia is a constitutional monarchy.

 - we were founded as a constitutional monarchy

 - we were founded with a rather reasonable constitution - in the scheme of "democratic constitutions" at least

 - our constitution is one of the best, perhaps because it is one of the youngest and the consequent benefits of hindsight, and perhaps because the crown had had enough of bloody revolutions, and perhaps due to the approach that our forefathers (those involved in the constitutional conventions) took in being diligent, persistent and respectful

 - importantly, our constitution has built in, a section outlining its change (referendum of course) and so is not "permanently fixed in stone" so to speak - but be careful as it's easy to create more problems when trying to fix things

 - when great power is vested in a system, or office/role/person, there exists the possibility of abuse of that power, corruption, and the impulse to collect more power by enslavement, abuse etc

 - due to this potential problem tending to arise in the centralisation of power, in principle when we consider systems and structures of power, it seems prudent to not put 'too much' power in the hands of any one authority - in other words to attempt to create a balance of powers, not a single centralised power

 - on this principle of 'a balance of powers is better than a single centralised power', combined with a benevolent dictator, there may be wisdom in having a (largely titular) head of state who can declare, and more importantly veto, war

 - at Federation, we were and continued to remain, British citizens with the full benefits thereof

 - somehow our bumbling Australian politicians, without referendum, unilaterally gave up (at least nominally) all British citizenship for us, and therefore the benefits and considerations that go with this - this may not be in our (an Australians) interests

You may have noticed, both democracy and republics have glaring problems.

Monarchy is not inherently wrong, though one can certainly argue that in the present era, that it may be sub-optimal.  And the specific issues and nuances re our Australian structure are interesting.

We are not a democratic monarchy, but a constitutional monarchy, and yes we have problems in our political arena.

Bind a monarch or "benevolent dictator" to 'Godly' principles - benevolence - and we have a reasonable start.

Enough for now, good luck.