Vermont: Year in prison for anyone under 21 in possession of cell phone - tentative legislation

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Mon Jan 13 01:18:14 PST 2020

On 1/11/20 18:44, Razer wrote:
> Ps. The first time I ever saw a calculator allowed in a classroom, no
> less a test area, I knew American children would be a global math fail.
> You need to learn the mechanics, just like you need to learn Text is
> spelled TEXT not TXT, first. Then you can fake it. Which is what I
> always told the class A drivers I trained. Learn to do it MY way first,
> THEN you can do it your way.

It is important to know how to do basic math using only pencil and
paper, but beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and
square roots (which can be done on paper, just nobody teaches them
anymore), a lot of the calculations start to get really tedious when you
have to work out each step by hand (trigonometry functions, logarithms,
etc) and the chances for errors go way up.

Yes, if you need a calculator to do 2+2, you deserve to fail math. But
that's not why calculators are allowed on modern math tests.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com