Can't Route to Most of Internet

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:20:58 PST 2020

I have the whole internet again.  Thank you all for your infinite patience.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 11:16 AM coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm on a local-only network that for some reason is being given a default
route by networkmanager.  There are two default entries in my routing
table.  The issue goes away when the local one is removed!

Thanks so much; I get so confused.

> odd to get a DHCP lease, and IP, but no route.
>
> can you log into the router itself to check logs?

I was surprised to find so few open source cable modems, and such small
development communities around them, back when I had one.  It's an xfinity
router.  But I could have run a sniffer on another system.

> can you run a traceroute on the Linux system to see where the drop is?

This reveals the issue.  Traceroute resolves ipv4 addresses and requests
all seem to terminate at the wrong interface.  Curl is resolving ipv6
addresses which get routed to the wan interface.  It seems the websites and
ips that didn't work were the ones without ipv6 addresses!

> i like to manually set DNS servers, rather than use ISP nameservers. try
> switching those out. (e.g. 4.2.2.4, 4.4.4.4, 1.1.1.1, etc.)
> [ but to be fair, this is a routing issue, not DNS, but DNS problems might
> be up next... ]

Good thoughts.

> have you tried turning the router off and on again? :P

Yeah I had done that ;p