Can't Route to Most of Internet

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:16:14 PST 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 12:30 AM, Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
> i can get to the real internet on wifi using my phone in airplane
> mode, so obviously my linux system has a virus that blocks the
> internet. sorry for the big alarm. need to archive this thing and
> eventually figure out how to do incremental backups of a new system.

definitely weird behavior.

no route is messing with your route tables - you can view these.

odd to get a DHCP lease, and IP, but no route.

can you log into the router itself to check logs?

can you run a traceroute on the Linux system to see where the drop is?

i like to manually set DNS servers, rather than use ISP nameservers. try switching those out. (e.g. 4.2.2.4, 4.4.4.4, 1.1.1.1, etc.)
[ but to be fair, this is a routing issue, not DNS, but DNS problems might be up next... ]

have you tried turning the router off and on again? :P

good luck!

best regards,

------

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/50098/linux-network-troubleshooting-and-debugging