Libertarian Economic Logic (chart attached)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Sep 20 00:53:21 PDT 2019

On 2019-09-20 12:25, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I am confident I could learn to make a pencil, work to obtain
> required tools and inputs, and make a pencil.

If you had even started to think about what would be necessary to make a
pencil, you would have sketched in an outline of how you would go about
it.   How for example, would you form graphite into pencil leads?  How
do you form anything?  With your bare hands?  What tools would you need?

Hint:  You cannot buy a machine for forming pencil leads, because that
kind of machine is a one off - most machines for forming specific shapes
are one offs.  You have to make the machine, just as Ivan the Troll had
to make one off devices that formed high strength, high melting point
steel into gun parts, for those parts of a gun where one cannot use
anything more easily shapeable, those parts where one cannot use a
threedee printer or a numerically controlled lathe.

And the fact that you have not sketched an outline tells me that you
lack the knowledge to even think about what would be needed.

Machines exist for making arbitrary threedee shapes using additive or
subtractive technologies, but there are rather severe limits to the
materials they can shape, and the shapes they can achieve, so that in
practice you wind up using several such devices to make the things that
make the things that make the thing that you actually want to make.
They cannot shape pencil lead or wood, or rather they can, but not to
the shapes you need for a pencil.

So you would need to think about the kind of devices you would need for
making a pencil, and then think about how to make those devices.

>   - a functional family requires interpersonal cohesion
>
>   - a functional restaurant ditto
>
>   - functional manufacturer ditto

Shockley was notoriously terrible at that, but he founded all of modern
electronics.  Steve Jobs was mighty bad at that also, but Apple was only
able to make groundbreaking new products when Steve Jobs was at the helm.

When they put Wernher von Braun in charge of what became NASA, they did
not tell him he had to get on with people.  They told other people that
they had to get on with Wernher von Braun.  He was not put in charge of
NASA for his interpersonal skills, but because he could make rockets,
and other people could not make rockets, even with his advice and
information.

Nah, what you need to make stuff is knowing how to make stuff.  That is
what in short supply.  Interpersonal skills are worth ten cents a bale,
but only if already baled.  Interpersonal skills are inherently valuable
only in the way water is inherently valuable.  Water is not valuable,
because we have plenty of water.  There is a sense in which water is
more valuable than diamonds, but nobody cares and nobody should care.