OOPSIE! ICE Fails To Properly Redact Document, Reveals Location Of Future 'Urban Warfare' Training Facility

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Thu Sep 12 09:31:12 PDT 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:43 AM, Douglas Lucas <dal at riseup.net> wrote:

> Redaction errors from .gov are surprisingly common.
>
> The court reporter at Barrett Brown's first (of two) sentencing hearing
> provided a transcript of that proceeding. The PDF included black
> redaction squares censoring her transcribed text of two bench
> conference.s All I had to do to liberate that text from redaction was
> use the PDF program Okular: I clicked "Selection", highlighted the
> redacted text, picked "Copy to clipboard", and pasted the clipboard
> contents into a text editor.

way back when (early 00's) i used this technique to search for PDF court documents with "CONFIDENTIAL", "PROPRIETARY" keywords and used the same trick to un-redact the telco information regarding fiber plats, routes (rights of way), and capacities. there was a lot of litigation among telcos, municipal governments, and others during this time :)

i always assumed this trick would die a quick death... alas, here we are!

... i really want a shodan for shoddy redactions.