Low speed, p2p, wireless as a secure alternative to SMS and Signal-like services.

Steven Schear schear.steve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 08:03:02 PDT 2019

By choosing a different physical transport means a different and, I
maintain, better set of security tradeoffs become available. Unlike
approaches which invariably depend on the Internet and heavily monitored
commercial gateways, I propose using infrastructure-less or
non-permissioned commercial, single-hop, relays. It's not the
electromagnetic spectrum isn't also monitored but that the efficacy of that
monitoring is, unlike the former environment, much more limited by physics,
channel conditions, information theory and the proper application of
tradecraft by possible targets.

Both as a hobbyist and professional I've delved into the practicality of
utilizing and building on commonly available, even consumer grade, Software
Defined Signal Processing  (SDSP, the use of the term SDR is verboten in my
world due to its inherent regulatory implications) hardware and open source
software. My investigations (some openly shared at Cypherpunk-oriented tech
conferences) have led me to believe that even a moderate uptake of these
SDSP technologies would effectively neutralize most or all SIGINT against
parties who aren't already the subject of individual targeting.

These technologies aren't some magical new creation but rather the
integration and adoption of ideas already well studied and reported in
academia but whose implementations are often not openly available for
tailoring and testing, mostly due to unfounded fears of regulatory actions.

To be continued...