Box for simple Tor node.

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Oct 11 14:26:22 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 09:05:00PM +0000, jim bell wrote:
> Somebody asked me a question, but because I am far from being an expert, I couldn't answer.   Suppose a person wanted to implement a TOR node, simply by buying some box, and plugging it into his modem, and power.  And NOT needing to become an expert on TOR, or even on computers in general.  And NOT having to follow pages and pages of instructions.   I did a few minutes of searching, and even the 'simple' explanations seemed 'clear as mud'.
> Don't bother with long explanations challenging the usefulness, or trustworthiness of TOR.   Yes, we've discussed them to death.  That's a different subject.                    Jim Bell

On FreeBSD, it's as simple as running the following commands as root

# install tor
 pkg install tor

# set appropriate variables, there aren't too many to get going and
# you can find them all well documented
 vi /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc

# update your rc.conf so the service will start at boot, then start it
 sysrc tor_enable=YES
 service tor start

For an idea of what the torrc file should look like, here is mine with a
few bits XXX'd out. My node is specifically configured not to allow exit
traffic because it was generating a lot of complaints upstream about my
host trying to hack peoples shit, etc :)

# cat /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc | egrep -v "^$|^#"
SocksPort 9050
SocksPolicy accept 127.0.0.1
SocksPolicy reject *
Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
RunAsDaemon 1
DataDirectory /var/db/tor
ControlPort 9051
HashedControlPassword XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ORPort 9023
Exitpolicy reject *:*  # too many complaints :)
Nickname twentysevendollars
Address wintermute.synfin.org
OutboundBindAddress 198.154.106.54
RelayBandwidthRate 3265 KBytes  # playing with this
RelayBandwidthBurst 4355 KBytes # ditto
ContactInfo 0CA8B961 John Torman <tor @ synfin dot org>
DirPort 9030 # what port to advertise for directory connections
MyFamily XXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you were doing this on Linux, it would be much the same. Replace the
"pkg install" with "apt-get install" or "yum install" or whatever, you
might have to add a tor repo or something. The config file probably
won't live under /usr/local/etc/tor, but just /etc/tor, and you'll use
systemctl rather than just updating the rc.conf with sysrc.

I would not recommend you run an exit node from your home ;)

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7