Box for simple Tor node.

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Oct 11 14:16:45 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 09:05:00PM +0000, jim bell wrote:
> Somebody asked me a question, but because I am far from being an expert, I couldn't answer.   Suppose a person wanted to implement a TOR node, simply by buying some box, and plugging it into his modem, and power.  And NOT needing to become an expert on TOR, or even on computers in general.  And NOT having to follow pages and pages of instructions.   I did a few minutes of searching, and even the 'simple' explanations seemed 'clear as mud'.
> Don't bother with long explanations challenging the usefulness, or trustworthiness of TOR.   Yes, we've discussed them to death.  That's a different subject.                    Jim Bell

 - Simple firewalling, as in shut it all down except for Tor.

 - Configure Tor as entry node, exit node, bridge node (quite
   straightforward).

   - If running as exit node (recommended), then the Tor node should
     have its own public IP addy, to avoid other home network users
     from experiencing quirks of occasional node banning.

 - Configure Tor according to the HW of the box (RAM and network
   bandwidth).

Be happy.

Tor is text based config. The most time consuming part is reading the
config manual.