Tor Stinks re Traffic Analysis and Sybil (as do other networks)

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Nov 23 15:39:00 PST 2019

On 11/23/2019 04:23 PM, Punk-Stasi 2.0 wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 15:39:55 -0700
> Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>

>> The villains here are writers of the Tor Project website. They bullshit
>> users, overselling Tor. Why, I don't know. Maybe it's all a honeypot. Or
>> maybe they're just idiots.
>
> 	Notice that they get paid as long as tor exists. So even if tor was not a honeypot, and they are not idiots, they still have a fundamental incentive to oversell it. Their paychecks.

Yeah, good point.

After those FOIA documents came out, I lost all respect for the Tor
Project. I get how conflicted they were. Needing government support.
Keeping the cops happy. Maybe having their jobs threatened. But selling
out is selling out, no matter how many excuses one has.

> 	Also, syverson and co. are complicit in overselling tor, despite the fact that their papers for the 'technical intelligentsia' spell out the limitations.

Agreed.

>> I've wondered whether it's just that they need lots of users for cover
>> traffic. That _was_ a major factor in opening Tor to the public, instead
>> of restricting it to government users. But that seems unlikely, now,
>> given that the NSA etc could easily run enough bots on hacked servers.
>

> 	My guess is that the main reason for them to get as many users as they can is to justify funding. Hell, maybe they even get a percentage of funding directly proportional to number of users/network size.

Makes sense.