Tor Stinks re Traffic Analysis and Sybil (as do other networks)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 1 12:21:40 PST 2019

On 2019-11-26 05:11, Jim bell wrote:
>   I'm convinced there are too many security issues for high privacy communication over networks that eventually utilize or terminate on commercial facilities. Only specially designed, ptp, wireless comms using OTP or other trusted keying, combined with appropriate tradecraft are likely to be effective against nation state resources. Recall WW IIs wireless warriors.'

The best thing you can do to hide metadata data over the network is to
make sure that video data is sent in a format that is indistinguishable
to the eavesdropper on any single link from data being sent in a manner
that hides who is talking to whom.

If you are implementing a mesh network, you have to know where in the
mesh you are sending data to.

In the simple and direct way of implementing a mesh network, done with
efficiency rather than secrecy in mind, every signal gets sent from
nearest node to nearest node, which means the sender has to know the
geographic location of the recipient in the mesh and a map of
intermediaries, which which means the location of the parties is widely
known, that everyone knows the location of an entity, but watching the
network does not provide much metadata on which party is talking to
which party.  You get close to onion routing for almost free.  And you
can further hide the traffic by choosing a zig zag path and the sender
onion encrypting to each relay, full onion routing, and by having random
delays on the link - which means that full onion routing should a field
for time sensitivity, that you need to have an interface to the network
which supports leisurely interaction, an email like interface. If the
network provides fast efficient traffic, the noisy bursts from people
using the network to send data in the most direct and fastest way to the
destination hide who is talking to whom using leisurely data slowly
going an indirect route.

Slow and small amounts of data will be hidden by people downloading
gigabytes of video by the fastest and most direct route.