Cryptocurrency Privacy: Evolving... Zerocash (ZEC, ZCL, ZEN) vs All Other Coin

George Violaris violarisgeorge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 23:03:39 PDT 2017

On 06/10/2017 8:31 AM, James A. Donald wrote:
> Generating this proof is inconveniently slow, and the data that has to
> be stored is inconveniently on the fat side, but verifying it is
> reasonably fast.

I believe the issue with this, such as in Bitcoin and any coin, is that
the blockchain eventually grows to an enormous size. It's all nice when
it's at around 200GB of data and it only takes a few days to synchronize
to the network. But think about a blockchain that is 2 TB. That is not
only a huge blockchain, that would be huge for a relational DB that is
stored on central server or cluster. When databases get to that size,
companies divide the schema. They'll either divide it per system, per
department, per branch or however it suits them best. Then they'll use
some sort of business intelligence tool to make sense of all that data.

Nodes need to be able to be useful by storing smaller chunks of a
blockchain instead of having to store the entire thing, something like
how sharing a bittorrent file works. The downside is that this may lead
into centralization as full nodes would have an advantage, but it's not
worse off than what it is now.

./gv