Cryptocurrency Privacy: Evolving... Zerocash (ZEC, ZCL, ZEN) vs All Other Coin

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Oct 5 22:31:40 PDT 2017

On 05/10/2017 20:30, George Violaris wrote:
> In short my question is, how does zero knowledge proof compare to ring
> signatures employed i.e. by Monero?

A proof is created that previous transactions equivalent in value were
marked as consumed, without revealing which ones.

Generating this proof is inconveniently slow, and the data that has to
be stored is inconveniently on the fat side, but verifying it is
reasonably fast.

I don't have accurate information as to the costs of doing it this way,
but they seem to be non trivial.  Proof generation is particularly
expensive, but this cost is carried only by the parties directly
benefiting, not by the entire blockchain, thus is incentive compatible.