Network security guide from vpnmentor.com

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Tue Jun 20 14:36:57 PDT 2017

A couple of days ago I got solicited to promote an online security
how-to for journalists, published at vpnmentor.com.  On the whole I like it.

The article presents one fairly obvious error:  The reader is advised
that using well known and frequently quoted lines of poetry as pass
phrases is a secure option, with a strictly imaginary "hundreds of
trillions of years" estimate of the time needed to brute force the
world's least random pass phrases.  Steve Gibson's online "search space
calculator" is used to illustrate this claim.  There is no mention of
Diceware or anything similar.

http://diceware.com

I think the article over-estimates the security of the Black Phone
product, and couple of my personal favorite tools and toys are not
mentioned at all.  But I also see a couple of interesting toys that are
new to me, i.e. the Mailvelope browser extension which isolates plantext
from web mail interface pages while composing or reading encrypted content.

On the whole I think the author made a serious effort and got most of
the things right.  Operational security content and references to case
histories make it stand out from many similar guides.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/online-privacy-journalists/

:o)