In Defence of Assaulting Fascists

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Thu Feb 2 15:06:45 PST 2017

> “Only one thing could have stopped us – if our adversaries had
> understood its principle and from the first day smashed with the
> utmost brutality the nucleus of our new movement.” – Adolf Hitler

> "The most effective prophylactic against any infection is to deny it
> its conditions of survival."

"I take no personal gratification in watching physical assault take
place. I recall the trauma of being punched at 14-years old in a racist
incident. I was intimidated for years by even the most frivolous fights
in high-school and even desisted from playing sports for a long time as
a result. I know how intimidating violence can be.

Which is why I believe in violence against fascists.

The New York Times today reported that Richard Spencer won’t be going on
speaking tours for a long time as a result of being assaulted. He’s even
afraid to go out for dinner. Before we conclude that that’s indubitably
a good thing, I’d like to turn to the topic of collaboration.

We expect collaborators to appear in the form of the Devil himself. In
other words, recognizable. But of course that’s far from the reality.
The Biblical story of how Satan himself transmogrifies into the Devil is
itself just as implausible. Collaboration, where it most matters, is
passive. Collaboration is reduced to executing “normal” tasks in a
programmatic manner. Nothing could be more “natural.” This was the
insight of Hannah Arendt’s Eichmann in Jerusalem: modern evil is banal.
It is the work of millions of men and women. As she argues in The
Origins of Totalitarianism, genocide requires the participation of
engineers, physicians, accountants, scientists, journalists, small
business owners, corporate executives and civil servants. It is an
archipelago of labor in the narrowest sense of the term: tedious and
mundane.

The most effective prophylactic against any infection is to deny it its
conditions of survival. Today our infection is the prospect of
collaboration.  Evil, according to Arendt, is committed by those who
“never make up their minds to be good or evil,” but underlying that is
careerism. Eichmann, the chief architect for the extermination of half
of European Jewry, had “no motives at all” she argued, “except for an
extraordinary diligence in looking out for his personal advancement.”
And the problem, as Arendt pointed out, was that there were too many
Eichmanns. There is no cure for collaboration. The only solution is to
prevent the conditions in which passive collaborators have the excuse to
say that they were only doing their jobs.

There is a crucial lesson to be learned from how Mussolini and Hitler
consolidated power. It wasn’t overnight. It took years. And in those
years paramilitary groups roamed the streets ravaging any potential
threat. The threat of chaos that they incubated was crucial to the
conservative governments’ decisions to permit them into the halls of
total power. Violence, as any good anthropologist would tell you, is
steeped in symbolism. State and, when allowed, non-State violence
intends to send a message “We Are The Only Game In Town.” And in their
violence, they assert their convictions. Citizens, too busy and
exhausted to think politically, are always ready to acquiesce that point
faute de mieux: if someone is violent and angry, then their demands,
even ideology, must be somewhat rooted valid grievances and ideas.

The essence of fascism, as historians like Robert Paxton never fail to
remind us, is not in ideas but in emotions. Robbing fascism of its
virility and hyper masculine pretence is to rob it of its primary
capacity to grow and survive. We have to confront the crucial question:
are we more interested in upholding the slogan “Don’t Be Evil” or in
making sure that no evil occurs? Is instilling fear in the hearts of
fascists or fascist-curious individuals, even at the cost of isolated
violence preferable to allowing fascists to consolidate power and
therefore commit greater atrocities?

In this particular instance, we must utilize fear to our advantage. The
continuation of protests and the show of strength must not only
intimidate fascists, but also send a clear message to the three most
important institutions that fascists require for total power: big
business, media and state institutions. They must be constantly fear any
form of collaboration with Trump’s administration. They must fear how
the nation’s history books will view them but to accomplish that we must
compel them to think that future historians will not be fascists. The
fascist future must be cancelled, today. We can take it from the tip of
fascist reaction today: “The point is that we got a lot of attention,
and that alone creates value.” (Trump, The Art of the Deal, p. 57)

Take for instance a recent example in Egypt. Large large sections of
civil servants and big business sabotaged Morsi’s presidency. Hoping
against the grain that he would be overthrown by the military, they felt
compelled enough to sacrifice their jobs and careers. But the background
to this was fierce street violence against fundamentalist supporters of
Morsi and weekly mass protests. They had mistakenly placed their faith
in the military, but Americans can take comfort in the fact that a
genuine opposition in Congress can represent them politically. Americans
who will be torn about collaboration must likewise feel compelled to
sacrifice their livelihoods and future; but only if the protest and
civil disobedience continue unabated and if there exists a genuine
political opposition in Congress.

We must be ready to meet their intimidation with greater intimidation.
What fascism does is to returns politics to its fundamentals. Those of
us who are united in the right of women and LGBTQ folks to their bodies,
those of us who believe in the right of life for Black, Native, colored
and Muslim communities have to confront that our primary task in the
coming months and years is to defend the most basic of political rights:
life itself. Politics is back to the visceral for those of us who have
long grown accustomed to middle-class bourgeois bubbles. We must consign
bourgeois morality to the ash heap before it does us in."

https://pulsemedia.org/2017/01/22/in-defence-of-assaulting-fascists/