Censors: We want Real-News, Real-Names, Real-ID, Real-Censorship

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:41:03 PST 2016

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/11/19/0543207/should-domain-name-registrations-require-a-verifiable-real-name
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/11/10/1747251/facebook-on-its-fake-news-problem-theres-so-much-more-we-need-to-do
http://cis471.blogspot.com/2016/11/a-real-names-domain-registration-policy.html
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/06/25/1227222/icann-seeks-comment-on-limiting-anonymized-domain-registration

http://papersplease.org/

The Internet was a major source of news -- fake and real -- during the
election campaign. The operators of fake sites, whether motivated by
politics or greed, are often anonymous. We avoid voter fraud by
requiring verification of ones name, age and address. A verifiable
real-names domain registration policy would discourage information
fraud.
"I understand the wish to protect the privacy of a person or
organization registering a domain name," argues the linked-to blog
post, "but there is also a public interest." ICANN already requested
comments on this back in 2015, but I'm curious what Slashdot's readers
think. Should domain name registrations require a verifiable real
name?