Drone Hating: Natural Response For More Than Just The Human Species

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:37:44 PST 2016

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/11/19/2258252/commercial-mining-drones-keep-getting-attacked-by-eagles

The world's seventh-biggest gold producer has lost more than nine
drones because of eagle attacks. "People couldn't believe I was able
to get such a good photo of an eagle airborne," complained surveyor
Rick Steven at a conference sponsored by the Australasian Institute of
Mining and Metallurgy. "But I didn't... Another eagle took that
photo... I was getting attacked by two eagles simultaneously." The
specially-constructed drones carry a $10,000 camera for
high-resolution photos and equipment that produces high-detail contour
maps of potential mining areas, and so far the company estimates
they've lost more than $100,000 worth of technology to eagle attacks.
They've tried camouflage -- including disguising the drones as another
eagle -- but unfortunately, according to Stevens, the eagle is the
"natural enemy" of the drone.
One drone's video is interrupted by the sudden appearance of an eagle,
followed almost immediately by footage from the ground by a sideways
drone camera. That video -- included in the article -- ends with a
reminder that "Eagle attacks on drones have been documented across the
world, to the point where some European police forces are now training
them to take down unauthorized aircraft."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-17/wedge-tailed-eagles-bring-down-drones-in-goldfields/8033056
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/02/01/1919257/dutch-police-train-bald-eagles-to-take-out-drones