[RUS] Ukraine and the Russia haters - time to pay up with an ear bashing of "I told you so"!

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Aug 21 02:25:04 PDT 2016

One of the few good things today is that information gets out onto the
Internet, and we all get to read various bits of dirty laundry re our
world's' "elites" or oligarchs aka scoundrels and war mongers - neo cons
as they're called.

Well, courtesy DC Leaks and with a <hat tip> to traditional John Young
style leaking (my moral support for the work of Wikileaks still
unwavering mind you), some will undoubtedly be heard subtly blasting
"I told you so" across the airwaves.

Read it and celebrate a small iota of freedom of information, and an
example of the very definition of 'conspiracy' - this is not conspiracy
theory, now one would have to call it conspiracy fact..

** Leaked memo shows George Soros worked to push Greece to support
Ukraine coup, paint Russia as enemy
( http://theduran.com/leaked-memo-shows-george-soros-worked-to-push-greece-to-support-ukraine-coup-paint-russia-as-enemy/
)
By Alex Christoforou on Aug 19, 2016 04:41 pm
Soros Greece

Last week we reported on the DC Leaks hack
(http://theduran.com/george-soros-criminal-ngos-fully-exposed-dc-leaks-2500-document-hack/)
of what was over 2,500 documents detailing how George Soros and his NGOs
influence world leaders, drive foreign policy, and help to create unrest
in sovereign nations, that many times leads to chaos and civil war.

One country of particular focus for George Soros and his NGOs is
Ukraine.

It is now accepted fact that Soros was deeply involved in the Maiden
protests in 2014 and the violent coup, that saw a democratically elected
government overthrown in the name of “EU values”.

What is even more troubling, as revealed by the DC Leaks hack, is how
Soros and his network of “non-profit organisations” worked to lobby EU
member states into not only buying his Ukraine “Maidan” narrative, but
to also disavow any ties and support for Russia.

Leaked documents show that George Soros was active in mapping out the
Greek media landscape with generous grants, so as to further his Ukraine
project, while also using his deep pockets to get Greek media to turn
against the Russian Federation…in what can only be described as a
well-funded and orchestrated smear campaign.

In one document entitled: “Open Society Initiative For Europe (OSIFE).
Mapping the Ukrainian debate in Greece” (Ukraine and Europe-greece-tor
ukraine debate mapping  greece.docx), Soros offers a consultant a
remuneration of $6,500 (gross) for “at least 15 full working days in
carrying out this task” plus all expenses paid.

The aim of this task:

   The consultant is expected to chart the main players in the Greek
   debate on Ukraine, outline the key arguments and their evolution in
   the past 18 months.

   Specifically, the report will take stock of any existing polling
   evidence provide a ‘who is who?’ with information about at least

   – 6 newspapers,
   – 10 audiovisual outlets (TV and radio),
   – 6 internet sites,
   – About 50 opinion leaders and trends in social networks[1].

   Categorize the main strains of discussion and eventually identify
   different sides / camps of the discussion.

   Provide a brief account of how Russia has tried to influence the
   Greek debate on Ukraine through domestic actors and outlets

   Include a section with recommendations on
   – What are the spaces OSF should engage and would most likely to have
      impact?
   – What are the voices (of reason or doubt) that should be amplified?

Open Society Initiative For Europe (OSIFE) selected Iannis Carras for
the Greek media mapping grant. The justification why he was chosen…

   All contracts were for the same amount. We needed to find highly
   specialized researchers to map the debate on Ukraine in Europe,
   therefore we identified a shortlist of candidates in consultation
   with colleagues in the Think Tank Fund, OSEPI and in consultation
   with members of the OSIFE board and chose the most qualified who
   could produce the report in the time allowed. In the case of Greece
   we agreed that Iannis Carras, an economic and social historian of
   Balkan and Russian relations with expert knowledge of Greece’s NGOs
   and social movements, was the best suited to the task.

What is even more interesting is not the grant from OSIFE, but a letter
from grant winner Carras to a person named Mathew (another Greek
speaker???), outlining his plan in detail for pushing Soros’ Ukraine
agenda in Greece.

Of significance is how Carras tells Mathew about Greek society’s overall
suspicion of The Open Society after the roll in played in seeding unrest
in Yugoslavia. Carras even tells Mathew to not mention The Open Society
in Greece.

   “Do you want your name to appear alongside mine on the paper?  Do
   make comments on all of the below.

   In general, and at your discretion, do not say you are doing this for
   Open Society because it is likely to close down doors. There’s a lot
   of suspicion about Open Society in Greece, mainly because of its
   positions vis-à-vis the former Yugoslavia. As I am simultaneously
   writing an article for Aspen Review Eastern Europe that can be used
   as the organisation for which research like this is taking place.”

Carras then goes on to outline his approach in manipulating Greek
society, covering topics such as:

   1. Media.
   2. Political parties and think tanks
   3. Opinion polls.
   4. Business relations.
   5. Religious and cultural ties.
   6. Migration and diaspora.
   7. Greece and Ukraine in the context of Greece’s economic crisis.
   8. Greece, Ukraine and the Cyprus issue.
   9. Names and brief description of significant actors: a ‘who is who?’
      with information on at least 50 opinion leaders

Carras notes how Russia has much goodwill in Greece, exercising
“signifiant soft power”.  Carras notes that Greece is, at this moment, a
weak player in the Ukraine debate and the Greek Foreign Minister Kotzias
realises this.

   interviews carried out so far that Russia has significant soft power
   in Greece though this does not easily convert into hard power (e.g.
   vetoing EU sanctions).Greeks are basically not very interested in
   Ukraine and the crisis there. They reflect and understand that
   conflict through their own economic crisis and their relations with
   Europe (nowadays primarily Europe and not US). To the extent that
   relations with Europe remain the focus and do not go off the rails,
   Greece will bark but will not bite. If they improve, Greece might not
   even bark (as can be seen with Greece’s policy on Israel, Kotzias can
   be very much a realist).

Carras does warn that should Greece’s economic situation deteriorate
further, than Greece may very well look to Russia for support, and this
has implications on the Ukraine plan.

   If they deteriorate however, Greece will be looking to Russia for
   increased support and will alter its Ukraine policies accordingly. Do
   you agree with these hypotheses? Can you find confirmation for or
   against them in the media outlets examined?

Carras places extra emphasis on influencing the media in Greece, citing
various large news outlets that the Soros NGO can target, including
approaching left wing and right wing blogs.

   This is the bulk of the work (we have to think about how to divide
   the work up). We have to provide a ‘who is who?’ with information
   about at least 6 newspapers, 10 audio-visual outlets (TV and radio)
   and 6 internet sites. Some of these will be obvious, but, even in
   these cases, change over time (at least eighteen months) is an
   important consideration. Here are some suggestions for newspapers:
   Kathimerini, Avgi, Ta Nea, Vima, Efymerida Syntakton, Eleutherotypia,
   Proto Thema, Rizospastis? etc. What else? Protagon? Athens Review of
   Books? (info on Kotzias). As for TV, we’ll just do the main ones.
   What about left wing blogs? What about commercial radio stations? I
   think we should cover Aristera sta FM. Sky. What else? Anything from
   the nationalist and far right? My choice would be Ardin (already
   looking at this) which at least tries to be serious. Patria is even
   more unsavoury. I’ll deal with the religious web sites in the culture
   and religion appendix. I think we should interview Kostas Nisenko
   (http://www.kathimerini.gr/757296/article/epikairothta/kosmos/viaih-epi8esh-kata-toy-antapokrith-ths-ka8hmerinhs-sthn-krimaia)
   and Kostas Geropoulos of New Europe to get into the issues involved…
   not at all sure though that it’s advisable to talk to the Russia
   correspondents Thanasis Avgerinos, Dimitris Liatsos, Achileas
   Patsoukas etc. (I know all of them). Also if we come across articles
   with interesting information on any one of the topics, we should mail
   them to one another.

Attention is placed on influencing political parties. Carras sees this
as a more difficult task, as parties in Greece would not be warm towards
turning their back on Russia.

   Who if anyone deals with Russia / Ukraine within each of the
   political parties? How important are political parties in formulating
   policies? (my hunch is totally unimportant). I must admit I have
   little idea of how to proceed with this one, but I have written to
   the academic Vassilis Petsinis and I hope I’ll get to skype with him
   soon. Think-tanks are easier, and, I think, more important. I have
   already interviewed Thanos Dokos (director Greek foreign policy
   institute, ELIAMEP) in person.

Carras notes how he has approached various religious leaders, academics
and actors, to gauge a sense of how deep Russia’s influence and “soft
power” runs in Greek society and culture.

   So far I have interviewed by telephone Metropolitan John of Pergamum
   (one of the top figures in the inner circle of the Istanbul based
   Ecumenical Patriarchate). I have read Metropolitan Nektarios of the
   Argolid’s recent book (2014), “Two bullets for Donetsk”. I have tried
   but so far not succeeded in contacting Metropolitan Nektarios
   himself, and have started work on two of the main religious news
   websites romfea.gr and amen.gr .

   With respect to culture I intend to contact Georgos Livathinos,
   leading director of Russian and other plays and Lydia Koniordou,
   actress. Also the management of the Onassis Centre, particularly
   Afroditi Panagiotakou, the executive vice-director who is quite
   knowledgeable in this field having travelled to both Ukraine and
   Russia.

   In 2016 Greece and Russia will be hosting each other as the focus of
   cultural events in the two respective countries. I will be looking to
   understand the extent to which Russia’s unparalleled cultural
   soft-power might translate into Greek policy making.

Greek military is the final point of influence, with Carras interviewing
Ambassadors and policy decision makers.

   Foreign policy and the Greek military. So far I have interviewed in
   person Ambassador Elias Klis (formerly ambassador of Greece to
   Moscow, advisor to the current Foreign Minister, advisor to the Greek
   Union of Industrialists. He is perhaps the single most important
   person for understanding Greek-Russian diplomatic relations at
   present). Ambassador Alexandros Philon (formerly ambassador of Greece
   to Washington, to whom I am related). Captain Panos Stamou
   (submarines, extensive contacts in Crimea, also secretary and leading
   light of the Greek-Russian historical association) who emphasised the
   non-political tradition of the Greek armed forces. Tempted to talk to
   Themos Stoforopoulos for a nationalist left wing view. I have also
   read foreign minister Kotzias’ latest book. All of this has provided
   me with useful insights for appendices 7 and 8, and particularly for
   the connection to the Cyprus issue (which at the moment Greece is
   very keen to downplay).

Carras places an emphasis on Cyprus, perhaps recognising the islands
affinity to support Russia and its large Russian diaspora community.

   The recommendations will be for the medium and the short term, cited
   here based on interviews carried out so far. Medium term
   recommendations will include a cultural event (to be specified later)
   and a one-day conference on Ukraine and international law, citing
   precedents for dealing with the situation in Ukraine (particularly
   Cyprus). Recommendations may include capacity building for local
   Ukrainian migrant spokesperson(s). Short term recommendations will
   include an action pack on what Greece has at stake in Ukraine, and
   ways to narrate parallels in interactions between nation and empire
   vis-à-vis Greece / Ukraine. Think about whether these work / what
   else we might recommend?

Both of the documents are below:-
Ukraine and Europe-greece-tor ukraine debate mapping greece -Ukraine and Europe-greece-tor ukraine debate mapping greece2 -Ukraine and Europe-greece-tor ukraine debate mapping greece3 Document from Iannis Carras…
“Ukraine and Europe-greece-carras tsimitakis greece ukraine mar 2015.docx”-Ukraine and Europe-greece-carras tsimitakis greece ukraine mar 2015 -Ukraine and Europe-greece-carras tsimitakis greece ukraine mar 20152 -Ukraine and Europe-greece-carras tsimitakis greece ukraine mar 20153

The post Leaked memo shows George Soros worked to push Greece to support
appeared first on The Duran (http://theduran.com) .