How are the Baltimore riots going?/Any way we can help?

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Sat May 2 02:40:27 PDT 2015

On 05/01/2015 03:26 PM, Mirimir wrote:
> Protesters, or at least key organizers, need to
> be running apps to detect and block IMSI catchers. And everyone not
> using them needs to put their phones in Faraday bags. So they also need
> to know how to make Faraday bags from aluminum foil and duct tape.

Good links to walkthroughs on both these would be greatly appreciated.

I was at Freddie Gray et al./May Day protest tonight (Friday; see tweets
https://twitter.com/douglaslucas/with_replies). There was one point, a
key intersection we were marching through halfway into the march, where
cell reception inexplicably dropped for a few minutes. There was also,
early on, someone in an Austin Police Department hat taking
pictures/video from the balcony of a firefighter's station, suggesting
that the cops were clued in, which would make sense given the organizing
happening on facebook etc., which of course sounds like horrors to
crypto snobs but in terms of mobilizing large populations is the only
current, repeatedly practiced answer and an effective, if dangerous, one.