How are the Baltimore riots going?/Any way we can help?

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri May 1 13:26:58 PDT 2015

On 05/01/2015 10:38 AM, Y G wrote:
> On 04/30/2015 08:57 PM, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>> Georgi Guninski wrote:
>>> How are the Baltimore riots going?
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Baltimore_riots

>> Aloha from Baltimore,
>
> Is there any way that the protests could use help on the tech front?

OPSEC training!

> I heard a bunch of things about the Baltimore PD being sure to keep
> track of livestreams and I think also checking Twitter photos?

Yes, and using Stingray. Protesters, or at least key organizers, need to
be running apps to detect and block IMSI catchers. And everyone not
using them needs to put their phones in Faraday bags. So they also need
to know how to make Faraday bags from aluminum foil and duct tape.

> So maybe someone running their own StatusNet or Pump.io or something, so
> that the Baltimore PD aren't at least getting the data firehosed from
> the source?
> (Of course, that would require getting the message out to everyone to
> switch...)

Yes.