Rant on BSD vs GPL was [Good ol' BSD vs. GPL]

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Wed Jan 7 05:25:25 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 02:45:16PM -0600, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:

> > Haskell language shit depending on GCC and claiming they "compile with
> > portable
> > assembler" don't make sense to me too, fuck Haskelli and its monads,
> > sorry.
> >

> Not really sure how this factors into it. There's more than one Haskell
> compiler, you know? Haskell and monads are languages, and do not depend

I suppose I trolled about GHC:  https://www.haskell.org/ghc/license

Since I am in a trolling mood, let me give you the following
benchmark to check your favorite language for speed:

The fibonacci numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number
are defined by the linear recurrence:
F(0)=0,F(1)=1,F(n)=F(n-1)+F(n-2) [1].

Using numerology, you can compute F(n) in O(log(n)).

Compute F(n) via the slow recurrence [1].

Question: In haskell (or in your favourite language), how
long does it take to compute F(2^32) modulo 2^32?

Modulo 2^32 means working with C int's.

The haskell fanatic called this "micro-benchmark".
If you work in excel, you don't care if the popup shows in
0.1 or in 0.9 seconds.
If you work with loops to 2^34, you might care if you use C
or haskell IMHO.

Best,
--
Georgi