Of Sealand, corp, and country [was: nation-state]

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Tue Oct 21 03:57:30 PDT 2014

On Oct 20, 2014 3:03 AM, "grarpamp" <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Alfie John <alfiej at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> > Although not a multinational, The Pirate Bay did try to buy Sealand.
>
> Sealand is only as unique as the price Bates wants (it's also probably
> structurally unsound after taking an ocean beating for 70yrs)...
> How much would it cost to build, float and sink your own concrete silo?
> Who's researching locations of low depth found beyond 3-12+nm/EEZ
> in international waters?
> How does this cost compare to building your own acres of floating
> pontoon, barge, boat, or raft?
> And who sayeth hoisting your flag does not make you a country be?

The UN has demands on what makes a nation. It requires land. I'm not sure
if Sealand qualifies, but I think it's overhyped.

There's plenty of island nations, why not buy one of them? If you agree to
donate shares to the government they might be all ears.

You could band together with some other corporations if you don't have the
capital/value.

Have to wonder what's the point though. Save tax? Apple already does it, no
need to own the island to profit from it. Liberty? As if Google doesn't buy
law already. It might make them too scary.

I think Google should do it. It'd be a fun project, Google Nation.