"Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"

tpb-crypto at laposte.net tpb-crypto at laposte.net
Sat Mar 22 20:55:09 PDT 2014

> Message du 23/03/14 04:45
> De : dan at geer.org
> A : cypherpunks at cpunks.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: "Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"
>

> It were write that:
>
> > You are in the same boat of Karpeles and Ulbricht, they also were
> > barely able to code some interpreted language and they were overwhelmed
> > by the intricacies of the systems they were building. Until they
> > finally brought disaster for themselves and everyone that depended
> > on them.
>
> True but inevitable. Humans can design systems more complex than
> they can then operate. The financial sector's "flash crashes" are
> one, but only one, public proof-by-demonstration of that fact. I
> predict that the fifty interlocked insurance exchanges for Obamacare
> will be another. It is likely that any cryptocurrency exchange
> that is center-free and self-mobile is harder still. The HTTP
> Archive says that the average web page now makes out-references to
> 16 different domains as well as making 17 Javascript requests per
> page, and the Javascript byte count is five times the HTML byte
> count.
>
> Above some threshold of system complexity, it is no longer possible
> to test, it is only possible to react to emergent behavior. Even
> the lowliest Internet user is involved -- on the top level page for
> a major news site, I found 400 out-references to 85 unique domains
> each of which is similarly constructed. If you leave those pages
> up, then because most such pages have an auto-refresh, moving your
> ass to a new subnet signals to every single advertising network
> that you have done so.
>
> --dan

Your comments naturally lead us to think how to make simple systems, yet functional enough for the purpose we are building them.

We are up to a revival in self-made purpose-specific web servers. Learning the few needed protocols and building from the ground up using open-source tools seems the way to go.

Notwithstanding hardware issues, using things out of intel and amd seems also to become a trend.