Pen register request used to force disclosure of SSL private keys - LavaBit hearings

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 11:57:22 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Lance Cottrell <loki at obscura.com> wrote:
> When architecting a system, it is critical that the operator of the system
> should not have access to the keys at all...
> Rule #1 don't store clear text.
> Rule #2 don't store decryption keys
> Rule #3 don't do decryption on the server
> Rule #4 treat all communications with people not implementing security on
> THEIR computers as insecure

some have suggested a rule #5: don't distribute updates automatically
to your users and don't implement security critical functions in code
that is delivered to the client via the server.

i have yet to see a definitive case of a US company forced to include
a backdoor in their software or forced to use their software update
channel to deliver a CALEA/intercept friendly version of code to the
targeted customer.  to date all of these requests appear to be off the
record rather than enforced via judicial motion.

this is a shame, since out of date software itself poses significant
risk, and is best resolved via automatic updates from the vendor.

> Email security for systems designed to work with outsiders who don't use the
> tool are particularly problematic. The operator can use public keys to
> encrypt traffic as it arrives, but can easily be compelled to reveal the
> arriving clear text messages before encryption.

i'll avoid repeating my "email is for public communication" rant ;)

> Is it the SSL certificate for the SMTP TLS that was being requested?...
> This is hardly highly secured content. The HTTPS sessions might reasonably
> be considered more sensitive and secure.

my reading of this sequence of motions is that at least five different
keys were requested, which seems to imply _all_ SSL/TLS keys,
including those for HTTPS sessions.

e.g. they can request "pen register" information for web traffic!
 (we're a long way from just the dialed digits days...)