Pen register request used to force disclosure of SSL private keys - LavaBit hearings

Lance Cottrell loki at obscura.com
Thu Oct 3 09:30:35 PDT 2013

When architecting a system, it is critical that the operator of the system should not have access to the keys at all. You can't be compelled to produce something that you don't have. It is not hard to do if it is part of your initial design.

Backup providers like SpiderOak seem to be doing this right. I have designed a number of systems with this type of security design.
Rule #1 don't store clear text.
Rule #2 don't store decryption keys
Rule #3 don't do decryption on the server
Rule #4 treat all communications with people not implementing security on THEIR computers as insecure

Email security for systems designed to work with outsiders who don't use the tool are particularly problematic. The operator can use public keys to encrypt traffic as it arrives, but can easily be compelled to reveal the arriving clear text messages before encryption.

Is it the SSL certificate for the SMTP TLS that was being requested? It appears so from the transcripts. If that is the case, they are asking to access content that was stored in the clear on the previous mail server(s). This is hardly highly secured content. The HTTPS sessions might reasonably be considered more sensitive and secure.

	-Lance

--
Lance Cottrell
loki at obscura.com