[liberationtech] Baku attendees compromised

Alex Comninos alex.comninos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 01:22:14 PST 2012

I really have a problem with Ryan Heath's allegations not being backed
up by disclosure/evidence. I think it was not very diplomatic and
undermines Neelie Kroes's good work recently done in Baku which
consisted of evidence-based statements.

I have just come back from Baku and have witnessed first hand some of
the governments activities there (e.g. trying to stop dissemination of
publications on freedom of expression in the country). While I do not
discount at all the incident as a possibility, I think however such a
blatant hack would be contrary to the legitimation strategies the
Azerbaijani government was trying to pursue there.

I look forward to further disclosure and evidence. I hope also the
Azerbaijani government is not going to narrate Heath's allegations as
being part of the "fiction" (in the words of an official in the
closing ceremony) of foreign governments and NGOs operating there.

Me and many others have asked him (via Twitter) for further evidence,
as well as a description at least of the symptoms, but none is
forthcoming.

Let us focus more on Kroes's statements as well as the statements of
Azerbaijani activists, e.g.

http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2012/11/06/azerbaijan-open-letter-to-president-aliyev-ahead-of-international-governance-forum-in-baku/