Log Live the Qbit!

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Wed Jul 4 10:21:52 PDT 2012

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/04/quantum_computing_room_temperature/
Boffins pull off room-temp quantum computing with home-grown gems
Diamond test gives hope to luke-warm server strokers

By Brid-Aine Parnell . Get more from this author

Posted in Physics, 4th July 2012 15:02 GMT

Free whitepaper . Enabling Datacenter and Cloud Service Management for
Mid-Tier Enterprises

One of the very many reasons there won't be quantum computing any time
soon is that the quantum bits (qubits) need to be at absolute zero - not
very practical for the average server room, much less the lowly desktop.

However, Harvard tech boffins have come up with a way to create a qubit in
a solid-state system at room temperature that can store information for
nearly two seconds, an increase of around six orders of magnitude over the
lifespan of earlier systems.

Problem solved. Except for one tiny issue: to do it, the researchers had
to use diamonds. (The gems were lab-grown, so they didn't have to use the
world's finite supply of naturally occurring diamonds . but still,
building a computer out of diamonds is surely not going to be easy, is
it?)

"We have a qubit at room temperature that we can measure with very high
efficiency and fidelity. We can encode data in it, and we can store it for
a relatively long time," professor of physics Mikhail Lukin (pictured on
the left) said in a canned statement.

Scientists figured out a couple of years ago that atomic-scale impurities
in lab-grown diamonds called nitrogen-vacancy (NV) centres behave like
single atoms, having a spin that can be polarised. With the help of
lasers, they can control that spin and figure out its orientation. But it
wasn't yet an idea they tried out with qubits because they can only hold
data for around a millionth of a second before their quantum properties
drop out.

The Harvard boffins figured out that the NV centres would mirror carbon-13
atoms, which are also in the diamonds. So they could put the info in a
carbon-13 atom and monitor the NV centre to "read" the data. Whenever they
don't want the NV centre to read the atom, they use massive amounts of
laser light to keep it occupied.

They can also hit the diamond with radio frequency pulses to suppress
interaction between the carbon-13 isotope and other atoms in order to
extend the life of the qubit.

"We believe this work is limited only by technical issues, so it looks
feasible to increase the life span into the range of hours. At that point,
a host of real-world applications become possible," Lukin said.

The boffins foresee the system being used for paying for stuff (not the
diamond bit, the computer bit); in highly secure networks . where it would
be used for transmitting data; and for building quantum computers, natch.

The study was published in Science. .

//Alif

--
"What kind of world do we live in when the views of the oppressed are
expressed at the convenience of their oppressors?"

Alik Shahadah