[liberationtech] We did it! #acta

Andre Rebentisch arebentisch at lxdesystems.com
Wed Jul 4 14:10:04 PDT 2012

Am 04.07.2012 21:50, schrieb Anne Roth:
> I'm sure most have come across this news today but just in case: the
> European Parliament rejected ACTA today with a huge majority:
> 478 against, 39 in favour, 165 abstentions. ACTA is over.

Technically ACTA could enter into force outside the EU when ratified by
its non-EU members. Politically it is cratered.

Commissioner Karel de Gucht argued the Commission would seek approval
("consent") again after an opinion of the European Court of Justice.
That won't happen, simply because the ECJ would probably dismiss the
case as the process is terminated, and even if they ruled it legal the
Commission couldn't reconsult.

> It's possible. Not sure if we can win the war (referring to a keynote of
> the CCC congress some years ago) but we can definitely win battles.

That is the main step on the learning curve of successful Europarl
battles, a positive attitude towards representative democracy, escaping
defaitism. But we don't need insane campaigns for the impossible. In
early stages it takes very few persons and small resources. Four years
ago it was possible to put it asleep with approx. 10k and a bit
complicated technical voodoo.

What's hardly known is that this week, yesterday, the EU Parliament
strengthened the EU customs enforcement framework, the corresponding
element of the ACTA package in the acquis communautaire:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+REPORT+A7-2012-0046+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

I sincerely hope people would not waste their capacity upon the INDECT
honeypot now.

Best,
Andri

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----