Walled gardens look rosy for Facebook, Apple -- and would-be censors

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.com
Tue Apr 17 10:56:34 PDT 2012

Battle for the Internet:
Walled gardens look rosy for Facebook, Apple - and would-be censors
http://j.mp/I3BV2B  (Guardian)

  Zittrain's real worry is that "the personal computer is dead".  His
  conclusion is a call to arms: "We need some angry nerds" - people capable
  of breaking out of the walled gardens.  Indeed, the US government has
  found some: it has backed projects such as "the Internet in a suitcase",
  which could set up a telecommunications network inside a country separate
  from the existing infrastructure.  Zittrain acknowledges such projects,
  but for the wider world, he says, "convenience is great. I wouldn't call
  for a return to the green blinking cursor of [Microsoft's pre-Windows]
  MS-DOS or the [text-based] Apple II. But we should build architectures
  that permit innovation and experimentation if consumers wish to go
  'off-roading'."