New Yorker article: Enemy of the State

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Wed May 25 22:18:59 PDT 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Of course, getting "all" the traffic would have required building a 1-for-1
> fiber optic network,

Not at all.  All that would be required is traffic duplication from less
than a dozen (less than half a dozen at that time) backbones.  Easily
doable technically, and from their bugetary perspective.

> which I think we agreed was beyond even the nearly infinite budget of
> NSA.

I think at least one of us is misremembering :-)

> Instead, they had to push the trafffic through successive
> prioritization gates, throwing away a bunch at the edges, and the
> sending the higher priority stuff through to the beltway.

This is a processing issue, not a collection issue.  Collection of 100% of
the internet traffic is easily achieved, and we should all assume that it
has in fact *been* achieved for close to a decade now.  Processing that
collection was the big issue, and likely still is - although, great
advances have been made in automated language recognition. Anyone who
doubts that should forget about Dragon, and just go look at a new cell
phone: I have ~600 entries in my address book, and although the phone has
no ability to refine it's interpretations based upon prior
failures/sucesses, it still gets my verbal dial requests correct roughly
85% of the time.  Heuristic systems should be doing some *fabulous*
automated processing at this stage of the game.

> But what Wikileaks has shown us is that the main problem with
> transparency is that it makes obvious their pathetic and incompetent
> mangement, and it makes obvious their strong desire to obfuscate their
> incompetence. Indeed, the persecution of the whistleblower is (at least
> from the perspective of the article) not so much a punishment for
> revealing state secrets (which were pretty obviously illegal), but
> instead revenge for exposing the unneccessary cowboy management of the
> NSA during the post-9/11 period.

Exactly.  One other thing we've learned is that George Orwell's
DoubleSpeak has finally arrived with Obama!  "Yes, we can!" was his
rallying cry: Yes, we CAN throw fiscally irresponsible scumbags who caused
the financial melt down in prison!  Yes we CAN help out Main Street before
Wall street!  Yes we CAN end all of these insane wars (the fact that that
these wars are ALL illegal doesn't faze him in the least).

Well, prosecution meant giving TARP loans and other financial bailouts;
Main Street is being hit with horrific cutbacks across the boards, as well
as the virtual dismantling of Medicare and Medicaid; Wall Street *STILL*
runs the show! Tim Geither is one of the main Wall Streeters who *CAUSED*
the meltdown, yet he's been put in charge of running the economy in
recognition of his "fine" and "outstanding" work creating this mess in the
first place!  Obama has added several new wars [now illegal under the War
Powers Act.  Yes, we can!... Can war and whore our way across the planet!

Oh, did anyone notice that "Mr. Transparency" has been prosecuting
"whistleblowers" at a rate that makes GWB look like a lefty!

I really would really have preferred the expected rapture ;-)

//Alif

--
I hate Missouri.  Land of the free, home of the perjuriously deranged.