Decentralizing the Internet So Big Brother Can’t Find You

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Feb 17 13:35:26 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:04:05PM +0000, John Case wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>
>> This seems preety hefty on ambition and pretty low on details.  Is he
>> planning on these wal-wart "servers" acting as TOR nodes?  Universally

I think they're drafting up the specs. Tor would be a save idea,
ip2 and LAFS-Tahoe another.

>> accessable wifi spots?  FreeNet nodes, or LAFS servers?

Not necessarily WiFi, thogh if the wall wart has a radio, why
not. Just another NIC.

>> I think what bugs me the most here is that the basic premise appears
>> intrinsically flawed: On Inet-1, everyone can see who you are - it's an
>> artifact of the construction goals originally designed for.
>>
>> I'd want to see some more meat and less fluff before I looked any deeper.
>

> The (obvious) meme going around is "we'll just set up a mesh".

I think you're being too harsh here. These are wired nodes, running
vanilla current p2p stuff. Tor e.g. might not scale to a meganode,
but it would be fun to find out when and how it breaks.

> You can stop reading when you see that.  A mesh network that does the
> things these people want it to do is currently rocket-science hard.

I notice you didn't comment on the sketch I gave you. While
not a rocket surgeon, the issue of routing by itself is doable,
provided you meet certain constraints. I wish I had time to
write a simulator for that to prove a few points.

> It can be done, and I'd be the first one celebrating, but from the mouths
> of these morons its just mental masturbation.

Let's compare notes. I tell you how I think it could be done, and
you take it apart. Deal?