Facebook is spooking me - privacy concerns

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun May 2 07:19:07 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 07:21:35AM -0400, John Young wrote:
> Yes, and this list also since 1992. Come on, this list is
> among the earliest to be federally databased and loose fingers
> tapping greasy keyboards surely led to capturing other lists, and
> emails, and privacy protection methods, names, addresses,
> behavioral profiles, nyms, pseudonyms, anonymns, hide-outs,
> onions, tors, crypto "unbreakable" and implementations easily
> hackable, TA evasions, accusations, put-downs, name-callings,
> rattings to the spying customers that paid subscribers to join
> up and report malefactors, who was susceptible because
> ridiculed here, who pretended to the least susceptible but
> bragged about it so much it led to exactly the kind of attention
> braggarts desire to turncoat with a smirk, and as ever, the
> ones who came here to learn how to make a buck by
> exploiting openness and gullibility and blind faith in surefire
> comsec ways to elude "jack-booted authorities."

This is a pretty small group (these days, there are probably less
than 10 people total still on this list), and presumably everybody who
has signed up fully realizes what she is disclosing, and just
how much she is comfortable disclosing.

The millions on social networks are a completely different order
of magnitude and amount of personal information leaked, integrated
over all social networks over time.