How long can you go with an expired key?

Peter Thoenen eol1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 17:50:07 PST 2008

coderman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>  Encrypted email is ramping upward rapidly, in the form of big business and the
>>  need for their Excos to protect news of mergers/acquisitions/'unexpected'
>>  losses and so on.
>
> i see encrypted laptops and services fitting this bill, but i haven't
> seen a ramp up of encrypted mail in this role.  perhaps i'm just not
> looking in the right places.

Personally I haven't seen this in the commercial world but on the
government side (at least NASA and DOD, heard DHS and DOE also but can't
confirm them) they pushed organization wide PKI smark card initiatives
(DOD CAC and NASA HSPD12) which by default encrypt and sign all emails
to allow sensitive data to transverse public networks without snooping
or alteration.  Now we can argue how effective it is or how many folk
disable it BUT thats a different issue (e.g. its more in use in non-DOD
agencies than DOD and disabled less regularly in the finance and
personal shops than combat arms)