How long can you go with an expired key?

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 15:42:56 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  Encrypted email is ramping upward rapidly, in the form of big business and the
>  need for their Excos to protect news of mergers/acquisitions/'unexpected'
>  losses and so on.

i see encrypted laptops and services fitting this bill, but i haven't
seen a ramp up of encrypted mail in this role.  perhaps i'm just not
looking in the right places.

[i didn't mean to dis encrypted mail quite as much as my previous
comments appear to in hindsight.  it certainly serves a purpose and is
used often in business.  but this is the only domain where i see it
used much at all, and even then, VPN's and SSL/TLS services are
overtaking many of the roles encrypted email used to fulfill.  just my
experience, and admittedly limited experience...]

> Oh, and don't forget all of the mundane traffic including
>  account numbers and so on. And St May for the 'glorious' hackers: Without
>  their proliferation there'd be less motivation for enterprises to encrypt.

enterprises are definitely encrypting. FDE and VPN's and SSL/TLS
services growing much more than encrypted email IMHO.  i'd be curious
to know how much of this is due to actual hacker threats, vs. data
spills and regulatory / industry standards compliance pressures.

>  Now the real question I have is whether this helps the little guy in any way,
>  because the IP addresses of encrypted packets are themselves not encrypted, so
>  that it's easy for NSA eavesdroppers to throw away the much less interesting
>  enterprise traffic.

pen registers for the intarwebs and social network analysis.  they get
most of what they want just watching those opaque bits move around...

>  But I have little doubt that we're slowing approaching the knee in the
>  hockeystick in terms of encrypted traffic.

i think encrypted torrents are the largest source of encrypted traffic
on the net.  this is purely speculation though; i'd love to see
numbers.  (encrypted torrents, easy.  encrypted mail, still too
hard...)

best regards,