undersea cable cuts

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 07:07:10 PST 2008

Well, those are particularly interesting questions though I haven't given a
lot of thought to yet.

One of the things to notice is that these are fairly shallow waters in
general. And while I don't believe a scuba diver went down with a hedge
clippers, my assumption had been that someone had figured out some relatively
low-tech way to do it, and is probably trying much more often than
succeeding.

That said, these cables are not easy to break, not even by large boat anchors:
The cost of fixing a less engineered design would rapidly make it worthwhile
to ensure they can withstand a LOT, and they can. So I think it's worthwhile
considering who has the ability to do this sans clever tactics.

I was actually surprised to hear that two cables in close proximity were
broken and considered that not a coincidence. After three the pattern was
becoming clear.

-TD> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:36:30 -0600> From: measl at mfn.org> To:
camera_lumina at hotmail.com> CC: bill.stewart at pobox.com;
cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net> Subject: RE: undersea cable cuts> > > Um, thats
*five* cuts. And not random cuts either - they are specifically > targetting
both sides of the rings. This is someone who truly understands > the tech -
they are not just cutting random cables, they are cutting the > right cables
in the right sequence.> > I have been having an offline talk with a small
group since this started, > and none of us believed it was "random" after cut
#4, and I am pretty > certain everyone of us believes it's a pro.> > The
question is *who*? The parche is in fact decomm'd (one of the group > checked
on it's pyhsical status); and there are only two countries > suspected of
having the required type of sub (Israel and Russia) besides > the US. I would
have thought Israel but for the heavy targetting of > French property, and I
cant find any reason for it to be Russia other than > there is nobody else. Of
course, I dont see what the various spook > facilities do, so who knows, maybe
everyone has sea-floor open to the > water cable subs docking these days?> >
-- > Yours,> J.A. Terranson> sysadmin_at_mfn.org> 0xBD4A95BF> > > What
religion, please tell me, tells you as a follower of that religion> to occupy
another country and kill its people? Please tell me. Does> Christianity tell
its followers to do that? Judaism, for that matter?> Islam, for that matter?
What prophet tells you to send 160,000 troops> to another country, kill men,
women, and children? You just can't wear> your religion on your sleeve or just
go to church. You should be> truthfully religious.> > Mahmoud Ahmadinejad> >
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Tyler Durden wrote:> > > Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:21:26
-0500> > From: Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com>> > To: Bill Stewart
<bill.stewart at pobox.com>, cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net> > Subject: RE: undersea
cable cuts> > > > There's been lots of net speculation about maliciousness,
but for me the odds> > of 3/4 failures of undersea cables in such a relatively
small area and over> > such a short amount of time is extremely suspicious,
particularly given how> > robust such cables are. (ie, there's maybe a dozen
in the whole world at any> > one time, over millions of route miles).> > > >
Whether these are JbT-type terrorists is, I think, doubtful given the
revenues> > traveling over these things and particularly how ineffective the
cuts were.> > The cuts certainly appeared to me to be attempts to get a
working+protect> > sides of fiber rings by people who didn't have access to
that level of detail> > about how the rings are deployed over the
wavelength/fiber/cable pairs.> > > > -TD> > > > > Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008
22:05:07 -0800e> To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net> From:> >
bill.stewart at pobox.com> Subject: Re: undersea cable cuts> > > Hadn't heard> >
this was malicious ... you have a reference?> > The fourth failure turned out>
> not to be a cable cut,> just some kind of equipment power problem.> >> >
Certainly once the third cut happened,> things look pretty suspicious even if>
> they don't turn out deserve it.> And there are different kinds of
terrorists> > out there -> the ones that wear government uniforms (or wear
cheap suits> but> > work for governments) don't always take the credit
themselves.> > At 07:35 PM> > 2/4/2008, Sarad AV wrote:> >'terrorists' take
credit and are proud of their> > actions.> >nothing of that kind has happened
yet.> >I guess that satellite> > communication is another alternative.> >
Satellites have very limited> > bandwidth compared to fiber.> They may be ok
for countries that don't have> > useful infrastructure,> like Iraq,
Afghanistan, and most of Africa,> but they> > don't begin to replace the
internet or private network connectivity> that was> > on the fiber systems
that were cut;> I don't know how big the fourth cable> > was.> >
know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail.-get your> > "fix".>