[IP] Verizon says phone record disclosure is protected

Ethan Ackerman eackerma at u.washington.edu
Tue May 8 02:02:32 PDT 2007

free speech

Greetings Dave,

If I understand correctly, Verizon is now arguing in the NSA spying
cases that turning over records to an arm of the government is
protected 1st Amendment speech, even if the process of turning them
over was of questionable legality.

Maybe they want to run that by their co-defendants AT&T first, because
AT&T has argued just the opposite...

A little over a year ago, AT&T employee Mark Klein turned over
proprietary records to the US District Court (an arm of the
government) hearing the NSA spying cases brought by EFF.  AT&T
strongly objected, asserting trade secret claims and that the process
of turning them over was of questionable legality.

Maybe AT&T's proposed solution in its case should apply here as well:
"The Confidential Documents were taken outside of the discovery
[[[FISA]]] process. They contain confidential and proprietary AT&T
[[[US citzen caller's]]] information. AT&T therefore has filed the
Confidential Motion requesting that the Court order plaintiffs
[[[NSA]]] to return the documents and make no further use of them
unless and until they are obtained by proper [[[FISA-compliant]]]
means."

from    http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/att/ATT38_sealing_motion.pdf

bracketed comments mine, obviously.