Permanent secret identity

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Wed Jun 27 10:19:41 PDT 2007

On Wed, June 27, 2007 10:49, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Let's assume that I always initiate a session from the same IP address,
> and
> that the identity is encrypted. What I don't want is for anyone to see
> that
> "I" always access identity No. 268.

If we can also assume that you perform this update over a secure
connection, then (also assuming the secure protocol used is intact) no one
outside of the identity server can see the contents of the session.  The
update protocol should also perform basic protective steps, such as making
all traffic of uniform size, using good-quality randomness for padding and
the like.

> Is this even necessary? Am I in effect protecting against someone taking a
> core dump of the server, or are the issues more significant than this?

Essentially, you *can't* prevent Mallory the Evil Admin from doing 'sudo
cat /dev/kmem > chump_dump.img'.  So you need to tune your threat model
accordingly.  You face two attack surfaces: your connection to the
identity server (which is probably defendable) and the server itself
(which, if we posit local hardware access by Mallory and Co., is toast and
he already knows you are Number 268).

I'd think the method of choice would be to intermediate the update
process.  If updates can be done with an encrypted blob in an email, you
can use the remailer networks and Tor to break the connection between
"you" and "268" so Mallory only knows that someone with the right keys is
updating 268.  Even if direct connections are necessary, a Tor session
should help by making sure that updates to 268 always come from different
IPs. Even if it's only a describable set of exit nodes, all Mallory knows
is that 268 is Tor-literate.

But overall, if you don't trust the admin crew, how do you trust the
server itself?  And should you even be placing your credentials in its
care in the first place?
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"Antelope Freeway, one sixty-fourth of a mile." - TFT