walking like a bomber

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 04:21:31 PST 2007

The suicide bombers will move from the cities to the
suburbs or blow themselves at market places. The
technology is impressive but is this the right
application?

Sarad.

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

http://www.techreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=18072

> Wednesday, January 17, 2007
> Walking like a Bomber
> New strides in radar and gait-analysis software show
> that it's possible to
> detect when someone is carrying a bomb well before
> he or she reaches a
> security checkpoint.
> By Karen Nitkin
>
> In November 2005, three suicide bombers walked into
> three hotels in Jordan and
> blew themselves up, killing 63 and injuring more
> than 100. While the world is
> alert to such deadly threats, the challenge remains:
> how to detect approaching
> suicide bombers from a safe distance. X-ray machines
> can obviously see a
> concealed bomb, but they are dangerous to
> humans--and a bomber could detonate
> himself and kill people at the checkpoint. Video
> surveillance can help, but it
> requires personnel trained to scan crowds and pick
> out suspicious
> individuals.
>
> A new radar-imaging technology expected to reach
> market later this year could
> solve the problem by directing low-power radar beams
> at people--who can be 50
> yards or more away--and analyzing reflected radar
> returns to reveal concealed
> objects. And early research indicates that this
> method could one day be
> augmented with video-analysis software that spots
> bombers by discerning subtle
> differences in gait that occur when people carry
> heavy objects.
>
> Virginia-based SET Corporation is developing both
> approaches for its
> CounterBomber, a system nearing commercialization
> that detects suicide-bomber
> suspects from a safe distance, says Thomas Burns,
> CEO of the company, which
> was founded four years ago by scientists from the
> Defense Advanced Research
> Projects Agency. Customers might include airports
> and military bases, he says.
> The device could be ready for sale by the fall of
> 2007.
>
> The first generation of the CounterBomber works by
> continuously steering a
> low-power radar beam toward the moving subject. The
> radar then repeatedly
> "interrogates" the subject. "The characteristics of
> the reflected radar beam
> are affected by weapons hidden beneath the
> clothing," Burns says. Signal
> processing software can detect those weapons or
> bombs without creating an
> under-the-clothes image that could violate the
> person's privacy, he says.
>
> And this technology is helped by novel technology
> that tracks the
> subject--thereby enabling the radar to be
> continuously aimed at the moving
> person. Software developed by Rama Chellappa, a
> professor in the department of
> electrical and computer engineering and a member of
> the University of
> Maryland's Institute for Advanced Computer Studies,
> [...]

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index