[IP] Re: Department of Homeland and Security wants

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Apr 2 09:28:32 PDT 2007

master key for DNS

A dirty little secret is that the late, lamented and sensible Jon
Postel once demonstrated how easy it would be to take the entire
Internet out of the hands of the government entirely, because in fact
the decision of what the "root" is is pretty damned arbitrary.
(because people who think roots and port numbers are "real" seem to
fantasize about physical metaphors that create more reality than
there is here, so you have to show them).

I think it would still be a small project to take the roots away from
the US Gov't entirely, once and for all.   If they demand the key and
get it with the purpose of enforcing yet another attack on collective
will, I am happy to help.   Nothing illegal is necessary.  99% of
humanity will probably volunteer to join the new root system - both
libertarian conservatives and liberal thinkers are pretty much
together on this.  I'm pretty sure Microsoft and Apple (and I know
Linux) communities would happily substitute a new root for a "gov't
censored" one - and I don't think appeals to "child molesters" and
"terrorists" and other bloody shirts being waved would cause them to
think twice.  What might get Microsoft to play ball is a promise to
stop hammering them on antitrust, but hey, they have to worry about
the next administration and the one after that - companies outlive
governments.

And even if Microsoft didn't put the new roots in, it's really easy
to distribute a root replacement add-in or to add it to the NAT boxes.

So "self help" is why the government might want to think twice about
sticking this screwdriver in their own eye.

Yeah, as John Levine says, the ICANN may not be a very mature body,
but just think what the maturity of your favorite governmental figure
is like.   Do you like the "liberals"?  Do you like the "religious
right"?   Do you like the Hillary?  What about the Cheney?

In the matter of the DNS, we the users of the Internet hold all the
power.   The master key is a fantasy.