[IP] more on Department of Homeland and Security wants master key for DNS

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 2 09:12:15 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 16:31 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> What might get Microsoft to play ball is a promise to
> stop hammering them on antitrust, but hey, they have to worry
> about the next administration and the one after that -
> companies outlive governments.

Being subject to the whims of Microsoft in exchange for not being
subject to some of the whims of the US Government is, IMO, a bad
tradeoff, and in fact makes some things worse. Microsoft has incentives
to censor certain types of speech as well. How long do you think
gnu.org, fsf.org, badvista.org, defectivebydesign.org, freebsd.org,
openbsd.org, netbsd.org, xiph.org, vorbis.com, speex.org, theora.org,
eff.org, et cetera (I'm sure the list goes on and on) would last on a
Microsoft-controlled Internet?

> And even if Microsoft didn't put the new roots in, it's
> really easy to distribute a root replacement add-in or to add
> it to the NAT boxes.

Assuming we even get that far, Microsoft should not be who we trust with
the new roots. They have already violated our trust many times over.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>