NS&AT&T

Mike Owen kyphros at gmail.com
Wed May 17 15:33:20 PDT 2006

On 5/17/06, Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The next obvious question could actually cause a knock on the door so I
> won't ask it.

I doubt the NSA cares about this list anymore (assuming they ever did).

Back to the topic at hand, I'm sure they do policy updates via
whatever channel they are recieving data. It's very common to just
have a single out of band reporting/management link.

And I'd be surpised if these servers had any type of internal/external
storage, such as the suggested Storedge. They most likely boot off the
network, so if the servers are grabbed, there is only the contents of
ram to worry about, and I'm sure there are rather explosive safeguards
against that.  A side benefit of having the filesystem living on an
nfs server somewhere is that the above mentioned policy updates could
be as simple as changing a single file on the storage server, and
having all the sniffing servers immediately updated. I'm sure there
are customized local policies for each region, but there would be a
set of shared common policy.

Mike