AT&T Cable Modem Traceroutes Re: NS&AT&T

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu May 18 12:14:01 PDT 2006

At 10:20 AM 5/18/2006, Chris Olesch wrote:
>Maybe its just me, but my brother-in-law and I used to wonder why most of
>AT&T's cable traffic routed thru the east coast before going out west (or
>asia). This would have been well within the range they decided to setup
>camp. early 2002 thru 2003 (maybe 2004). On the MOT backbone traffic was
>routed normally, yet at-home it took extra routes.

Your traceroutes went to the east coast because that's the
closest peering point to most of the destination networks you were going to,
and BGP mainly works with hop counts unless you do a lot of tweaking.

AT&T never really ran the cable TV IP networks themselves
when they bought the cable companies - it was still the different
cable company operating folks that did most of it,
and really they knew a lot more about Pay-Per-View than Internet data,
as you might guess from the Don't-Even-Think-About-Running-Servers rules.
The level of lack of integration was such that even though
most of the cable companies had huge infrastructures of dark fiber
along their cable rights-of-way, we weren't able to use that
to sell access services to customers until the last few months
before Wall Street made us sell the cablecos and give the money back.

AT&T did provide them a bunch of wholesale backbone service -
I don't know most of the details, and probably couldn't tell you if I did
because of the usual customer-confidentiality rules.

But you've got to remember that 2002 is a long time ago compared to the
current Internet peering relationships.
Public Peering back then still mostly happened at the MAEs and NAPs,
and still mattered back then, though most of the bigger ISPs
did private peering for the bulk of their traffic..
I don't remember if everything had moved to Equinix yet.
I don't know who @Home peered with other than AT&T -
we peered with them in 9 or 10 cities, and typically peered
with the really big ISPs in half a dozen cities each and
the other big ISPs in 3-4 cities each,
but I don't know how many of them @Home peered with.
(AT&T peered with @Home in Chicago, but that doesn't mean that
@Home peered with, say, UUnet there even if they could have.)

AT&T had some OC192 backbone trunks in 2002,
but mostly OC48 on big routes and there was still a fair amount of OC12,
and most of the peering was at OC12 or OC3,
which was still big back then.
(We were the first carrier to run OC192 trunks, having scooped Sprint
by a day or two, but for the first few months it was really
a demo link from NYC-Boston that they only ran in the daytime for PR
because the Cisco cards didn't really work yet...)

>Tracert after tracert from within att's net, would mention long routes. It
>would bounce 3 or 4 times go out the chicago trunk then end up on some cia,
>or other federal line, then go back (but this time around chicago) and end
>in cali. If our destination was Japan, or Siberia, the chat latency was
>unbearable.
>
>I was glad when comcast took over, but then again maybe all this humdrum was
>removed from the line (tracesrt's).

Bouncing around Chicago 3-4 times was entirely no surprise -
until carriers got really big hub switches in,
you'd typically see at least three hops at any POP,
one to an inbound router, one to a hub, and one to an outbound router,
and the reason you don't see that today is that
a lot of it's happening as Layer 2 Ethernet switching
or Layer 2.5 MPLS switching depending on the carrier,
so Traceroute doesn't know about it.
And if you're going from carrier to carrier, you'll see more.

And then there's annoying weirdness like
connections from Carrier A in Denver going to Carrier B in Denver
via Seattle and San Francisco because they don't peer directly there,
but carrier B peers with Carrier C who's got an OC48 to Carrier A
in Seattle and only an OC12 in SF so they hand it off there,
and Carrier A connects Denver to SF and CHicago but not Seattle :-)