How The Telcos And The Government Are About To Boost The Encryption Market

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 15:18:08 PDT 2006

> ... Server-side embedding
> shared secret into OpenVPN, connecting to customer's own vserver.
>
> What I don't yet know (but need to find out) whether by being
> mediator I'm technically an ISP, or not. If I am, I've got the
> data retention liability albatross around my neck.

is there a way to offload the critical (key secrecy) parts to a
trusted third party / external location so that retention would be
effectively pointless?
(that is to say, within the jurisdiction of data retention let them
archive all the blackened traffic they want until the heat death of
the universe...)