How The Telcos And The Government Are About To Boost The Encryption Market

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 22 05:32:24 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 07:26:54PM -0700, coderman wrote:

> lead more people to simply encrypt their internet traffic. It

Ah, if it only would be "simply". Interoperability requires
the same method on both ends, and session setup latency better
be invisible. No such animal yet.

> certainly could open up quite the business opportunity for firms
> providing encrypted VPN systems that basically scramble all your data
> so your ISP can't snoop and can't prioritize (or downgrade) the
> traffic.

That's precisely what I'm gearing up to do. Server-side embedding
shared secret into OpenVPN, connecting to customer's own vserver.

What I don't yet know (but need to find out) whether by being
mediator I'm technically an ISP, or not. If I am, I've got the
data retention liability albatross around my neck.