[IP] FBI plans new Net-tapping push

Hugh D. Hyatt hughhyatt at bluehen.udel.edu
Sat Jul 8 11:37:01 PDT 2006

For IP, if you wish....

David Farber is alleged to have written, on or about 08-Jul-06 08:00:

>Begin forwarded message:
>From: Richard Forno <rforno at infowarrior.org>
>Date: July 8, 2006 2:22:38 AM EDT
>To: Blaster <rforno at infowarrior.org>
>Cc: Dave Farber <dave at farber.net>
>Subject: FBI plans new Net-tapping push
>FBI plans new Net-tapping push
>By Declan McCullagh
>http://news.com.com/FBI+plans+new+Net-tapping+push/
>2100-1028_3-6091942.html

[snip]

>b" Eliminate the current legal requirement saying the Justice
>Department must publish a public "notice of the actual number of
>communications
>interceptions" every year. That notice currently also must disclose
>the
>"maximum capacity" required to accommodate all of the legally
>authorized
>taps that government agencies will "conduct and use simultaneously."

This would eliminate the public's ability to learn interesting and
important facts like those published here (also by Mr McCullagh):
http://speakout.com/activism/opinions/4377-1.html.  For example,
"According to government statistics, in 1998 police intercepted
2,313,210 conversations but the taps -- 71% were for drug-related
crimes -- resulted in only 911 convictions."  Was that a reasonable
trade-off between security and freedom?  And how else can we, the
people, make such judgments without having facts like these?

--
Hugh D. Hyatt
Bryn Athyn, PA

  The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal
  vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the
     consequence of his crime, and the punishment of his guilt.
                                             -- John Philpot Curran

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to

----- End forwarded message -----