[IP] FBI plans new Net-tapping push

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.com
Sat Jul 8 11:44:16 PDT 2006

Dave,

Data retention laws.  Purpose-built voice and data wiretapping
capabilities in communications gear.  A sharp salute to the masters
of the Black Chamber, with terrorism and child abuse the rhetorical
keys to creating the pervasive surveillance society.

But there's a piece missing.  Crypto controls of course!

Despite their fundamental impracticality, laws prohibiting,
controlling, or penalizing the use of "untappable" crypto will be
increasingly enticing to the powers-that-be.  For of what use is all
that extremely expensive wiretapping capability if you can't
interpret the damned bits?

Such control laws would of course trigger a vast escalation in the
crypto "arms race" -- with ever more emphasis on steganographic and
other message obscuring techniques.  Innocents will have their
personal and business privacy eviscerated, while the truly evil will
plunge deeper from view, with knee-jerk reactions pulling our basic
liberties down the rathole as well.

After all, even the road to "1984" was paved with good intentions.

Indeed, "He loved Big Brother."

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren at vortex.com or lauren at pfir.org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org