[Clips] EFF: AT&T forwards all Internet traffic into NSA

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:55:01 PDT 2006

On 4/7/06, R. A. Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
>   "The evidence that we are filing supports our claim that AT&T is diverting
>   Internet traffic into the hands of the NSA wholesale, in violation of
>   federal wiretapping laws and the Fourth Amendment," said EFF Staff Attorney
>   Kevin Bankston.
>
>   "More than just threatening individuals' privacy, AT&T's apparent choice to
>   give the government secret, direct access to millions of ordinary
>   Americans' Internet communications is a threat to the Constitution itself.
>   We are asking the Court to put a stop to it now," said Bankston.

i'm interested to see the monetary incentives behind this
collaboration.  when your competitors (and every other tier-3) are
getting infrastructure investment and subsidy it is hard not to follow
suit despite ethical qualms (if any of these carriers actually had
ethical concerns before diverting traffic wholesale to the NSA).